My friend Brenda is a true ROSe! She recently told me about a Facebook group she enjoys; Allegheny County Rocks. These nice folks paint a variety of images on rocks then leave their artwork for others to find. Read on to learn about Brenda and her rock-painting.
- How long have you been painting rocks and why do you do it? I have only started painting rocks in last 2 weeks. I used to paint rocks years ago, but quit when moved. It makes me feel good to pass along something that may make a person smile or feel good.
- Tell me about the rock group you’re in. I joined Alleghany Rocks on Facebook a few weeks ago when I found my 1st rock at the Cancer Center with a pink breast cancer symbol on it. Made my day finding it. Decided then I wanted to pass the joy along.
- Are there any specific qualities you look for in the rocks you select? Small, maybe the shape, just what feels right at the moment. I do know not take rocks from rivers & streams. It is illegal. Messes with the habitats of animals. No stealing rocks from landscaped areas. There are plenty of free, usable rocks.
- What sort of paint do you use? Acrylic or some use paint markers. I have even seen magic markers used. It is a good idea to seal rocks with a sealant to preserve the artwork.
- What do you hope someone feels when they encounter one of your painted rocks? I hope it brings joy, a smile. Some keep the rocks, some rehide them.