Appropriate for upcoming Valentine’s Day, we have Canadian romance author Lawna Mackie for February! Read on to learn about this Alberta native.
1. Your bio mentions you write “various forms of romance…contemporary, paranormal…fantasy…erotica.” Do you have a favorite among them?
I do write many different forms of romance and the truth is that I love them all. Fortunately, I have the ability to write in many different genres. When I need a break from the normal everyday contemporary romances, I switch it up and move to fantasy. Fantasy allows me to break the rules. I create the world however I want it to be. Creature creations are my favorite and not so hard when you have an overactive imagination that kicks into gear when you go to sleep at night. Just add milk and cookies before bedtime and ta-daaah creature creations come about.
Psychological thrillers/suspense are also fabulous to write because I love to keep the readers guessing right until the very end. Then as my website states I also have a bunch of “Naughty Characters” …could be erotica…could be a bad guy or creature. My books will keep you guessing. Heck, they keep me guessing which leads nicely into the next question.
2. How would you describe your writing style?
- Guilty…I’m a pantser, which means I write flying by the seat of my pants. My characters tell the story, taking me along on an adventure with them. I guess I do a little bit of plotting, but not much, just enough to see the story through to the end. I get up at five in the morning to write. I also have a few hours in the evening but most of my word count comes from the weekend time.
While the majority of what I write is done on the computer frantically typing away, I also like to use a good old-fashioned pen and paper. I don’t know what it is, but there is something liberating about being able to write on paper.
3. How do you spend your time when you’re not writing romance? I love spending time with my animals and my husband. We love the outdoors and I live for camping where we take all the critters…even the cats, who by the way are never on leashes. They are free to roam where they wish (granted we do not camp anywhere near others). The cats even come hiking with us. My crazy felines never get lost and they also come back home to us.
4. Where can your books be purchased? My books can be purchased directly from my website, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Google Play, and Apple. Hint..they are cheaper on my website when you buy direct from me!